WHY SHOULD ANYONE WORK HERE?
Goffee & Jones
The one sentence summary
Successful company cultures need honesty and meaning, allowing people to be themselves and do work that makes sense.
WHAT THE BOOK SAYS
- In the past, businesses made people conform to the organization’s needs. That doesn’t work any more.
- Leaders need to attract the right people, keep them and inspire them to do their best work.
- The best leaders are almost invisible:
- “A leader whose existence is unknown to his subordinates is really the most brilliant one.” Zhang Ruimin, CEO of Chinese company Haier
ELEMENTS OF THE BOOK I PARTICULARLY LIKE
- There are a set of diagnostic tools and questions to work out whether the culture is healthy (like the Creating the Best Workplace on Earth staff survey).
- It cautions on not making promises that you can’t keep.
- It cautions on not trying too much.
- The authors propose six attributes of a healthy company culture (see Creating a Great Company Culture tool):
- Difference: Let people be themselves
- Radical honesty: Let people know what’s really going on
- Extra value: Magnify people’s strengths
- Authenticity: Stand for something more than just shareholder value
- Meaning: Make the work make sense
- Simple rules: Make the rules clear and apply equally to everyone